UTF-8 http://vanvlietart.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Friday, February 22, 2008

Plein Air in Rochester and Honeoye Falls, New York

Here I am with a small group of painting friends in late summer paint at the former Ketchum-Deshon House circa 1840 in Brighton, NY where I live with my family.

Richard Ketchum is the listed owner with his family in the mid 19th century. An architect lived here in 1940 and accomplished some upgrades, particularly interior trim and woodwork. he also put a concrete floor in the basement and added a recreation room.

In 1947 the home was sold to Ruth Deshon who had lived on Seneca Parkway in the city of Rochester's, Maplewood neighborhood. Her daughter Nancy is one of the childern who grew up here. Nancy attended school at the University of New Mexico where it is said she founded the "Boots and Saddles Club", a recreational riding club. She eventually became a writer and lived in Hawaii for a time before returning to this home to care for her mother.


I have been living here since 2003 and slowly repairing the house and gardens. It is a pleasure to live in such a wonderful old farm house. It is listed as a Brighton town landmark.

The top picture is me painting, then Todd Ryan, and finally Josi Etter. Also present and taking the pictures is Richard Thomas. Unfortunately we did not get his picture.

Todd has a blog of his work and has participated in many shows in the Rochester area.


Josi and I are discussing art trade secrets here at left. Note our serious demeanor. Josi recently was a participant in a juried show at the Rochester Memorial Art Gallery. Her piece was quite striking.

Richard has been a life long artist and I have collected several of his pieces.

And me... well you know enough, with a little more each time.



To the left is a shot I took of the scene I am painting in Honeoye Falls, NY. Here is a satellite view. The brick building with the tower is the old 19th century fire station. It was about 15deg. F and quite cold standing next to the old mill falls with the mist blowing over. I joined Corinne Avery from the GVPAP who hosted this fun time. I need to do a few touch ups to the painting and then I will show it to you.

As a final note, Chris Kolupski (the fine artist currently holding the "Before & After" show at the Framing Edge) is scheduled to be featured on the front page of the Living Section C of the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle this Sunday February, 24, 2008. Take a look and I hope you enjoy it. So far two paintings from that show have sold to a collector from California.

I hope your weekend is wonderful.

Labels: ,

Link

5 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Blogger JBrower said...

I particularily liked The Market painting. I cant imagine the box car crashing through the building.
Michael did some very nice work for me at the Framing Edge~
I am admiring it now over a glass of wine in my new office/art gallery
JRB

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger "van Vliet" Art Blog said...

Thank you for the compliment. I am glad you enjoyed our service at the store. I'll be sure to let Micheal know. Next time I am over you'll have to show me your new piece.

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Gordon.....taught in Honeoye falls -Lima....Love your work.....[an art lover] in D.C. Falls Church VA

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Candy Barr said...

Looks like a nice day of art and comraderie around a home with some good history.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger "van Vliet" Art Blog said...

Thanks Candy. It is always great to paint with friends.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker
  • Free Search Engine Submission
    Free Search Engine Submission
  • Arts blogs
  • Rochester Real Estate Agent - Information about homes for sale and real estate communities.
  • Official PayPal Seal